Annual Administrative Document
The Regional Transportation Improvement Program (RTIP) is prepared every year by Thurston Regional Planning Council (TRPC) in cooperation with local jurisdictions and the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT). The RTIP covers 4 years, and is derived from 6 year Transportation Improvement Programs that each local jurisdiction adopts annually.
Purpose of the RTIP
The RTIP serves these main purposes:
- It identifies a list of transportation projects that will be forwarded to the state for inclusion in the Washington State Department of Transportation’s Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP). For federally funded projects, even if project funding has been awarded, it is not available to jurisdictions and agencies until the project is included in the STIP.
- It demonstrates financial constraint for the projects referenced above.
- It demonstrates consistency with RCW 36.70A, Section 70 of the Washington State Growth Management Act requiring transportation planning to be coordinated and consistent with local comprehensive plans.
- It demonstrates that regionally significant projects programmed for funding during the four-year time period will not cause or contribute to any new violation of the federal air quality standards for particulate matter of 10 microns or less (PM10), will not increase the frequency or severity of any existing violation of the standards, nor delay timely attainment of the standards.
- It identifies other programmed and planned transportation projects adopted in local six-year Transportation Improvement Programs.