Review the Commute Trip Reduction Program
- Learn the requirements of the CTR Law for your role as an ETC and the responsibilities of your worksite.
- Familiarize yourself with the benefits CTR contributes to the Thurston Region.
- Understand the role your worksite's management will need to play in your CTR program
Read more about CTR Requirements...
Gain management support — essential for a successful CTR Program
- Talk with your worksite management about your role as an ETC.
- Brief management on the CTR requirements and benefits.
- Agree on an allotment of time and energy that you will dedicate to your ETC responsibilities.
Read more about management support...
Understand Your Audience
- What is the current attitude towards commute alternatives around your worksite?
- What roadblocks or fears discourage your commuters from exploring their alternatives?
- What factors encourage folks to consider changing their commute habits? Saving money, helping the planet, reducing traffic congestion?
Learn Your Commute Options
A wide range of commute options are available to people who live and/or work in Thurston County.
- Bicycling - best for people living within 7 miles of where they work
- Walking - best for those who live within 2-3 miles of where they work
- Riding the Bus - Intercity Transit operates service to the major worksites and schools in Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater, and Yelm. ruralTRANSIT offers public transportation services for the Nisqually Indian Tribe, the Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation, and the communities of Rochester, Tenino, Bucoda, Rainier and Yelm.
- Carpooling - this is the most popular alternative to drive alone commuting in Thurston County
- Vanpooling - best for long-distance commutes of 15 miles or more
- Compressed Work Schedules - best when work functions allow you to extend the regular work day
- Teleworking - best for employees who "manage information"
Visit ThurstonHereToThere.org to learn more about commute options. Find links and information on various service providers and tips for getting around Thurston County.